Dental implants are often the popular treatment option for those missing one or two teeth. Most people do not know that dental implants are also an option for those missing an entire arch or row of teeth. Dr. Diana Pop offers complete dental implant services in our Roslyn, NY dental office. We offer many types of implant procedures for various issues.
Our dentists have the advanced training needed to provide you with full-service treatments under one roof. Dr. Pop and Dr. Sal Lotardo restore missing teeth on a regular basis. One of our most popular procedures include All-on-4 dental implants for securing dentures. People who have been struggling with poor fitting dentures should also consider dental implants. When considering your options, weigh the pros and cons of both dentures and dental implants.
What are dentures?
Dentures are false teeth and traditionally the only option for people missing most or all of their teeth. They are made in a dental lab with impressions of your mouth. Dentures are made up of a base that is typically made of acrylic resin and metal that will rest on your gums. The teeth portion are attached to the base and typically made of plastic or porcelain but can differ depending on quality, color and size. The only real pros to choosing dentures are the cost and time to complete them. Dentures cost significantly less than dental implants in the beginning and they will ready for you in about 3-6 weeks. There are however many cons to choosing dentures.
- People will notice they are false teeth due to them being bulky.
- Depending on the type of denture you need, it may take up a lot of space in your mouth.
- Dentures require adhesive to stay in place in your mouth.
- Caring for and wearing dentures will take some time to get used to.
- Dentures can slip around in your mouth making talking and eating difficult.
- Dentures will deliver about a 30-40% normal chewing function.
- Without a tooth root in your jawbone, it will begin to diminish. This means your dentures will need rebased as your jawbone diminishes and the fit changes.
- Dentures require periodic maintenance.
- Dentures do not even compare to fully functioning, natural teeth that are anchored to your jawbone.
Learn More About Dental Implants
What are dental implants?
A dental implant actually refers to a titanium screw-like post. This post is surgically attached to your jawbone, just below the gum line. This post is designed to fuse with your jawbone creating a permanent substitute tooth root. Once completely healed, a piece called an abutment is attached to the implant. The abutment is what will hold the dental restoration. When an entire arch of teeth is missing, Dr. Pop will implant as few as four strategically placed dental implants from the comforts of our Roslyn, NY dentist office. These implants will secure a cosmetic denture. There are a few cons to implant dentures, known as All-on-4 dental implants. They include cost and time to complete. Dental implants involve a surgical procedure which will require time to heal. This makes it a lengthy and expensive process. But the pros to choosing dental implants are extensive especially when compared to dentures.
- Your overall quality of life is much greater.
- Dental implants are secure since they are surgically implanted. They will not slip or wiggle in your mouth.
- The presence of the implant in your jawbone will prevent bone deterioration.
- Dental implants are not bulky and will give you a natural appearance and smile.
- Dental implants will deliver a 100% normal chewing function because they are surgically implanted and sturdy.
- Dental implants offer patients over a 95% success rate.
- Dental implants are comfortable and feel just like your natural teeth.
With proper care and regular visit to our Roslyn, NY dentist office, your dental implants can last a lifetime.